How Do You Get A Visa For Your Spouse?

When you move to the U.S., you may want to bring your spouse with you. You need to follow certain guidelines so that your spouse can join you.

You need to make sure that you meet all the requirements of a sponsor. According to the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs, you have to be 18 years old to bring your spouse to the U.S. Also, you have to live in the U.S. when you file the immigration paperwork. You need to have either U.S. citizenship or a Green Card.

Which documents do you need?

You need to submit several kinds of documentation if you want your petition to be valid. You need to fill out an affidavit of support. This document states that you are willing to provide financial support for your spouse. You also need to fill out an immigrant visa. Additionally, both you and your spouse need to have a passport.

You usually need to submit documents proving that you and your spouse are legally married. This includes a copy of your marriage certificate. You and your spouse may also need to provide copies of your birth certificates.

Does your spouse need a medical exam?

Before coming to the U.S., your spouse may need to receive a medical exam. Additionally, the U.S. requires immigrants to get certain vaccinations. Your spouse will likely need to receive these vaccinations before attending the visa interview. You may need to fill out forms that prove your spouse has fulfilled these requirements.

Getting a visa for your spouse may take several weeks or months. The process usually depends on how quickly you can fill out the paperwork and collect your documentation. Immigration officials may also ask for more information and this can lengthen the process.

Request Your Free Consultation

"*" indicates required fields

I Have Read The Disclaimer*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Available 24/7 and Walk Ins Welcome